Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pre-school days

I have loved being a pre-school teacher.  Well, I have loved the kiddos and my co-workers.  I cannot really say that I loved my job.  This is a moot point since this is my last year.  I finally did it.  Quit.  Ended.  Moving onnnnn.

I have exactly 13 days of teaching left.  Roughly 40 + days with weekends and such.  These are a few things that I have learned.

1.  If you do not LOVE the person you are teaching with, this will be the most horrible time of your life.  You will fight.  You will disagree.  You will want to pull your hair out.  I was beyond LUCKY.  I ADORE my co-teacher, who is on her maternity leave and is finished. I miss her.  A LOT!!   I was blessed to not only find someone who I enjoyed being around, but someone who became a most CHERISHED friend.  I am lucky and priveleged to have someone who is that wonderful in my life.  She is my sweet cheeks.


2.  Sometimes, we know that there is something wrong with a child.  We can't always put a label on it, but we know.  No parent wants to be told that there is something wrong with their child, and God knows that we don't enjoy seeing it.  But, we know.  Trust us.  Help your child.  No one likes an ostrich.


3.  I hate party days in my classroom.  I don't care that it makes me seem like a scrooge.  Party day = CHAOS.  Those are the days that if I could hide in the bathroom, that is where I would be.


4.  Working for a church in no way means that the people around you in that church environment are godly.  It amazes me the things that are said and done.  They are like EVERY other work place. There is just as much backstabbing, gossip, and nastiness as any other place.  There is A LOT of good too, but there is a balance of both.  I have been lucky to have some AMAZING women in my small group, but the BIG place.  Hmmmmmm.  The pastor didn't even know my name or how long I had worked there.  4 years!  Yea, he was surprised over that fact. 


5.  Teachers deserve more money.  Period.


6.   There is nothing as sweet as a child coming up and telling you that they love you and giving you a hug.  I cherished those moments, and they happened every day.  You cannot beat that.  Even a bad day is put sweet with a hug.


7.  If your child is sick, please keep them at home.  I don't want to get sick too. Plus, your kiddo likes to hug and to sit in my lap, and to hold my hand, and ........ Get the picture. 


8.  I am much better suited in Mother's Day Out.  One class, all day, and it includes a nap.  All the other classes have chapel and 2 classes a day.  Chapel involves PERKINESS in the morning.  Not my thing.  Plus, they do everything twice.  I will stick with the 2 year olds.  I get to read during naptime. HEAVEN!!


9.  I hate poopy diapers.  My God, what do you people feed these kids!!


10.  I hate indoor recess.  Seriously.  One small area and EVERY kid wants the same damn toy!!  There are 10 riding toys..PICK ANOTHER ONE!! 


11.  The bossy kids were ALWAYS the girls.  ALWAYS.  :)


12.  The rough kids were NOT always the boys.  WAY more rough girls.  WAY MORE!!


13.  Cliques start with 2 year olds.


14.  There is always a crier, one who throws a tantrum, the kid who has the WEIRD parents, the kid who picks his nose, the one who can't share worth a crap....



I wouldn't change these last 4-5 years for anything.  I have loved all the kids.  Some more than others, but I remember each of them with fondness and a heavy heart as I say goodbye to this chapter in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment